Tony Waldrop still has the NCAA indoor mile record at 3:55.  He is now a
professor (I think of ex phys but I'm not positive about that) at the
University of Illinois (at least he was there a few years ago).

In an article in the local paper there about 8 years ago or so he
described his senior year of track and the pressure he was under.  At the
indoor ACC meet his senior year he ran with a 100+ degree fever just
because thousands of people had come to see him run.  People then made a
point of coming up to him and telling him how disapointed they were in him
not to set a record.  By the time he finished school he was sick of it,
had other goals and never ran another step again.  In the article he said
he didn't follow track the slightest bit.

Sad, but if he didn't want to keep doing it, good for him to have the
balls and just quit despite what those around him wanted.

Paul

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Ed & Dana Parrot wrote:

> Looking at the list, I saw two names that I don't recall hearing before - my
> youth is showing, I suspect.
>
> What were the careers of these two guys like?
>
> > 10. Richie Harris 3:51.39
> > 15. Tony Waldrop 3:53.2
>

> - Ed Parrot

Paul Talbot