The basic issue is two-fold and doesn't really concern Webb:

1) When and why should an athlete leave his/her coach (and also training
environs, etc).

2) Why the assumption that the collegiate route is the only legitimate one
for athletic development?

As far as Webb goes, one thing he could capitalize on right now as opposed
to in 3 or 4 years is the marketing value he has as an under-20 world
class miler.  How much would the European GP meet directors pay to get the
young phenom in their races?  I don't know, maybe not much, but I would
think potentially quite a bit (sadly I think he is marketable in part
because he would be a "great white hope").  Throw a nice shoe contract on
top of that (with the shoe compnay garuanteeing your tuition when you do
want to go)  and it coould be a pretty sweet deal.

When I was leaving high school though, I couldn't imagine not going to
college.  I'd bet Webb hasn't thought of it and it would seem a bizzare
idea if someone suggested it to him so I don't think we are dealing with
it as a possibility which is why I originally posed the question
hypothetically and why we should focus on the two questions above.

Paul

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Martin J. Dixon wrote:

> I realize that this is all hypothetical but why couldn't he get a 4
> year deal with a shoe company that stipulates that he will be
> attending school and that he controls when and where he can compete?
> Somebody would have to offer it to him obviously and I don't know
> whether a shoe company would. Most of the big meets take place when he
> is out of school. There have been successful athletes out there who
> have had jobs(Steve Jones comes to mind) and I don't know about the
> rest of you but I didn't realize just how easy I had it when I went to
> post secondary school. 8 months a year with a lot of time off-nice gig
> if you can get it. I don't know how Webb is scholastically but it
> strikes me that a shoe company could get some mileage out of this kind
> of association. Maybe there are some issues to do with stepping on the
> toes of the NCAA but I don't know. T & F is unique compared to other
> big name sports because a large part of its' competitive schedule does
> not take place during the school year like football, basketball,
> hockey etc. Regards, Martin

Paul Talbot
Department of Geography/
Institute of Behavioral Science