It's my recollection that at the last Annual Meeting of USATF the rule
specifying the 3.06m pit was repealed.  I think this change was done at the
instigation of President Bill Roe.

The 2001 USATF Rule Book does not mention the 3.06m pit.

http://www.usatf.org/about/rules/

RULE 81

                                          STEEPLECHASE

5. Water Jump Construction:

              (a) The water jump, including the hurdle, shall be 3.66m (+ 2cm)
in
              length and 3.66m (+ 2cm) in width. The water shall be 70cm in
depth
              immediately in front of the hurdle and slope to the level of the
field at
              the further end. The hurdle at the water jump shall be firmly
fixed in
              front of the water. The top bar shall be 1 2.7cm by 1 2.7cm (5
in. by 5
              in.) in thickness and the same height as the others.

              (b) To ensure the runners' safe landing, the bottom of the water
jump
              shall be covered at the further end with matting of suitable
material at
              least 3.66m (12 ft) wide and 2.5m (8 ft) long.

See diagram, page 185.

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]