Netters,

I thought that I would give my $0.02 on Webb.  As a former coach of a
miler several notches up the all-time U.S. list from Webb who also
developed at an early age I believe I have some insight.

First of all, my hat is off to Scott Raczko.  Here is a young coach who
really seems to look after the best interest of his talented athlete.
He doesn't seem to be trying to hog the limelight, nor does he appear to
be trying to milk as many points as he can from Webb at his State Meet.
He seems to be truly interested in Webb's long term development.  Also,
it goes without saying that he must know what he is doing.  No one, no
matter how talented, is going to develop to the level that Webb did
without proper training and mentoring.

Second, I think Webb is making a good choice by going to Michigan.  I
have known Ron Warhurst for many years and have a great deal of respect
for his knowledge of the sport and the fact that he always keeps the big
picture in mind in the development of his athletes.

Third, I am very impressed with Webb himself.  The way he ran his record
setting race, sticking to his pace and picking off the pros on the last
lap shows a maturity far beyond his years.  In the interview after the
race it was apparent that this young man has his head screwed on
correctly.  This is extremely important.  I can assure you from
experience that no matter how talented the athlete, no matter how hard
he trains, no matter how knowledgeable his coach, he will not be
successful unless he possesses the requisite psychological strengths
that will allow him to reach his potential.

I am very optimistic about his future.  I disagree with those who doubt
that Webb will make the U.S. team for the World Championship.  The
precedent is there.  Ryun made the U. S. Olympic team in 1964 against
competition much closer to the world's best at that time than the men
that Webb will face in Eugene, and Webb is certainly as good as Ryun was
as a 17 year old.  Nor do I think he will face the same level of
competition that Tom Byers did in the 1974 Championships when as a
teenager he was the first American in the 1500, and Webb is probably as
good as Byers was then (although Byers was VERY good).

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]