>        The public school meet did not get by without some more official idiocy. This time, it was the disqualification of a 3200M girl runner >for "showing her navel" The rules required shirts to be tucked in and hers was at the start of the race but pulled loose during the >competition.

Thanks to Ed Grant as usual for a great summary of the NJ meet.  It's too bad such a great competition has to be marred by things like the issue above.  New Jersey certainly isn't alone in this stupidity and we've been talking about this issue for the past couple weeks.  I'm reminded of a quote made by a co-worker of mine at a long since defunct internet start-up:

"It's not that we shoot ourselves in the foot that bothers me - it's how quickly we reload!"

- Ed Parrot