Ed Grant wrote:

>  Netters:        Is the PV on the HS level an endangered species?
>
> CUT
>         If the worst comes, it will be up to USATF to establish
> programs wherever the event is banned so that hopeful vaulters, male
> and female, can have the advantage of the best coaching available.
> Such camps, at least here in NJ< would simply replicate when we had on
> an informal basis for about a dozen years in the l970s and 80s when
> Paul Richards ran his "Flying Circus," producing most of the top marks
> in state history.      In fact, such collections of athletes under
> expert coach is probably the best way to develop talent anyway in the
> most difficult of track and field events. This couild wind up being a
> case of what seems bad becoming good, but only if the proper steps are
> taken to make it so.

This would make the situation in the pole vault similar to that which
obtains in race walking.  Do you want to see the pole vault sink to the
level that race walking, especially among men, is at in this country?
Better fight tooth and nail to keep the vault a part of the high school
program.

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]