With the world championships just six weeks away, here's a look at the
athletes who presently have met the entry standards, bearing in mind that a
country is limited to three entries, and that in order to enter more than
one, all must have accomplished the "A" standard since 1 January 2000. (As
the defending champion, Stacy Dragila is a wildcard entry, permitting three
additional entries for the U.S.)

Data are abstracted from the world lists of Mirko Jalava's web-site
<http://www.tilastopaja.net/>. Where the athlete has accomplished the
standard in more than one indoor or outdoor season, I've listed only her
best mark. When the athlete has that mark more than once, I've shown only
the most recent.

The U.S. trials have already selected their three vaulters (Alicia Warlick,
Mary Sauer, Tracy O'Hara). Other countries may have, as well. Still, I've
listed all qualifiers, for general interest.

If someone is interested in summarizing qualifiers for other events (I hope
so!), I'd be glad to correspond, off-list, about what approaches worked for
me.

When I posted the men's qualifiers, I resisted temptation to comment on the
list. Since my special interest for the past five years has been the
history and development of the women's vault, I hope I can be excused for
remarking the likely absence from the Edmonton meet of two great champions
and past world record holders in the short history of this event as an
international competition:

Emma George (AUS), 12 times outdoor and 5 times indoor world-record
breaker, is just now resuming training, after surgery following the Sydney
Olympics, and will miss Edmonton.

Sun Caiyun (CHN), with 12 indoor and 8 outdoor WR clearances, has met only
the "B" standard. She could compete only by clearing the "A" standard of
4.40 in the next month, or should Gao Shuying need to withdraw.

I also will regret the absence of Kellie Suttle (USA), one of history's
four female vaulters over the 4.60m mark, and of Mel Mueller and Jill
Starkey  (sorry, if I've missed others), whom I credit with joining Stacy
in the showmanship that has brought the women's vault to its present height
of popularity with U.S. and world fans.

Cheers,
Roger

4.42    A       Alejandra Garcia        ARG     2000o

4.55    A       Tatiana Grigorieva      AUS     2000o
4.50    A       Emma George             AUS     2000o
4.25    B       Bridgit Isworth         AUS     2000o
4.20    B       Rachel Dacy             AUS     2000o
4.20    B       Kym Howe                AUS     2000o

4.44    A       Doris Auer              AUT     2001i

4.43    A       Tanya Koleva            BUL     2001o

4.21    B       Stephanie McCann        CAN     2001o

4.40    A       Gao Shuying             CHN     2001o
4.20    B       Cai Weiyan              CHN     2000o
4.20    B       Sun Caiyun              CHN     2000o

4.56    A       Pavla Hamácková         CZE     2001i
4.50    A       Daniela Bártová         CZE     2000o
4.30    B       Katerina Badurová       CZE     2000o
4.20    B       Michaela Boulová        CZE     2000o

4.35    B       Marie Rasmussen         DEN     2000o

4.30    B       Mari Mar Sanchez        ESP     2000o

4.35    B       Vanessa Boslak          FRA     2001i
4.35    B       Marie Poissonnier       FRA     2001i
4.31    B       Amandine Homo           FRA     2000i
4.30    B       Caroline Ammel          FRA     2000o
4.20    B       Emilie Bécot            FRA     2000o
4.20    B       Agnes Livebardon        FRA     2001i

4.35    B       Janine Whitlock         GBR     2000o
4.20    B       Irie Hill               GBR     2000o
4.20    B       Rhian Clarke            GBR     2001i

4.50    A       Nicole Humbert          GER     2000o
4.45    A       Yvonne Buschbaum        GER     2000o
4.40    A       Carolin Hingst          GER     2001o
4.40    A       Christine Adams         GER     2000i
4.35    B       Annika Becker           GER     2001o
4.35    B       Martina Strutz          GER     2001o
4.31    B       Nastja Ryshich          GER     2000o
4.30    B       Sabine Schulte          GER     2000o
4.27    B       Monika Götz             GER     2000o
4.20    B       Andrea Müller           GER     2001i
4.20    B       Floé  Kühnert           GER     2001i

4.36    B       Yeorgyía Tsiliggíri     GRE     2001o
4.21    B       Thaleia Iakovidou       GRE     2000o

4.37    B       Krisztina Molnár        HUN     2001i
4.30    B       Katalin Donáth          HUN     2000o
4.22    B       Zsuzsa Szabó            HUN     2000i

4.51    A       Thórey Elisdóttir       ISL     2001i
4.50    A       Vala Flosadóttir        ISL     2000o

4.28    B       Arianna Farfalletti     ITA     2000o
4.27    B       Francesca Dolcini       ITA     2000o
4.20    B       Maria Carla Bresciani   ITA     2000o

4.21    B       Masumi Ono              JPN     2000i

4.35    B       Monique de Wilt         NED     2001o

4.35    B       Jenni Dryburgh          NZL     2001o

4.50    A       Monica Pyrek            POL     2001o

4.42    A       Elmarie Gerryts         RSA     2000o

4.65    A       Svetlana Feofanova      RUS     2001i
4.55    A       Yelena Belyakova        RUS     2001i
4.47    A       Yelena Isinbayeva       RUS     2001i
4.30    B       Anastasiya Ivanova      RUS     2001o
4.21    B       Vala Isinbayeva         RUS     2001o
4.20    B       Svetlana Abramova       RUS     2000i
4.20    B       Alla Checheleva         RUS     2001o

4.20    B       Kirsten Belin           SWE     2001o

4.20    B       Tatyana Köstem          TUR     2000o

4.56    A       Anzhela Balakhonova     UKR     2000o
4.20    B       Natalya Kushsch         UKR     2001o

4.23    B       Deborah Gyurcsek        URU     2000o

4.81    A       Stacy Dragila           USA     2001o
4.60    A       Kellie Suttle           USA     2001o
4.50    A       Melissa Mueller         USA     2000o
4.50    A       Alicia Warlick          USA     2001o
4.48    A       Mary Sauer              USA     2001o
4.45    A       Tracy O'Hara            USA     2000o
4.37    B       Lesa Kubishta           USA     2000o
4.30    B       Becky Holliday          USA     2001o
4.30    B       Aimee Crabtree          USA     2000o
4.27    B       Paula Serrano           USA     2000o
4.27    B       Jill Starkey            USA     2001o
4.22    B       Andrea Branson          USA     2000o
4.20    B       Shannon Pierson         USA     2001o
4.20    B       Shae Bair               USA     2000o
4.20    B       Kim Howe                USA     2001o
4.20    B       Jillian Schwartz        USA     2001o
4.20    B       Erin Anderson           USA     2000o
4.20    B       Andrea Dutoit           USA     2001o
4.20    B       Amy Linnen              USA     2001i