In a message dated 8/7/01 20:40:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<Okay, now that the decathlon is done it's not too early
to conjecture the year-end T&FN rankings-
who gets number one- the new world record holder, and
first to break the 9,000-point "barrier", or
the world champion (with a superb new WC meet record) ?

Are either one of them gonna contest a decathlon at
the Goodwill Games, or in Europe in September, or
are they done for the year?>>

It's far too early for such silliness. Most ofthe leading characters in this
little drama are expected to compete in Talence in September. You've got to
remember that the dec (and hept) version of the Golden League is the IAAF's
multi-event series, which concludes w/ Talence. There's big bucks (HUGE bucks
by multi standards) available in this series, although I can't remember the
exact figures at this point.

And Talence, like Götzis, is one of those must-do social events for the
European deca-elite. I'd be stunned if Sebrle, Dvorák and Nool aren't all in
France in another month. The No.1 Ranking will almost certainly go to the
winner there, if it's one of the two Czechs. If it's Nool, then there's a
real bun-fight.

gh