John and others,

It's been a long time since I saw them, but I remember watching the
Seagrave (published with a co-writer) videos on speed that are availible
through track nd field news and being very, impressed with them.  For a
middle distance runner at least, they were eye openers.  It helped
tremendously to have a video format.

Obviously there are many on this list far more qualified than I and can
recommend more esoteric works, but if this guy is at the starting point of
a novice, I think these are excellent begining points.  They also deal
with (are aimed at in part and use as examples) high school athletes for a
good portion of the videos.

Paul

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, John Lunn wrote:

> A friend of mine has discovered that his son has some speed. The 14 yr.
> old is excited and wants to go out for track next year when he gets to
> high school. The Dad asked me for a list of good books, but none came to
> mind.
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give in putting together a
> bibliography.
> JL

Paul Talbot
Department of Geography/