-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 10:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: Coach Dunton running afoul of copyright?

Greetings, all

In recent years,  Coach Ross Dunton of Tennessee has become well-schooled in

modern track techniques and training. He’s traveled extensively, attended
USATF seminars and done a ton of reading. He’s distilled the best advice for

his masters training Web site and newsletter. He specializes in masters
athletes but welcomes questions from all ages.

Nearing 70 and pretty much retired, he’s a perfect example of the vaunted
volunteer ethic that USATF prizes and promotes.

But on December 4, 2001, Dunton says he received this note from LSU
assistant
track coach Irving C "Boo" Schexnayder:

"Mr. Dunton:

 It has come to my attention that you have placed large portions of the
USATF
Level II Coaches Education curriculum on your website. These materials are
the exclusive property of the USATF Coaching Education Executive Committee,
and it is part of our committee policy to prohibit the free distribution of
these materials. I insist that they be removed from the public domain
immediately, or else I will ask USATF to pursue legal action immediately. I
await your response."

Shocked, Dunton responded, asking for proof of copyright and a copy of the
committee policy.

Dunton insists that nothing was said at the Level II school about posting
the
material online, and he notes that there are no restrictions or copyright
notations in the coaching education manual he received.

"I subsequently had a phone call from Toni Agard, who is the USATF assistant

legal counsel," Dunton wrote in a recent newsletter. "In that conversation
and in subsequent e-mails, I have requested the same information. There has
been no response to these requests."

Even though Dunton believes that USATF can't legally force him to remove
information from his Web site, he has deleted it.

(For example, see http://www.coachr.org/periodization.htm)

Dunton later got a followup e-mail from Coach Schexnayder, who wrote: "I get

30-40 requests per year of people asking to use our materials. Most are
reasonable and are granted. If I receive a ‘reasonable’ request for parts of

this material, I assume that it is OK for me to grant it."

Dunton also notes that "we were prohibited from filming the training drills
that were demonstrated on the track at the school. The stated reason for
this
prohibition was that the companies who sold training videos had complained."