Netters:

        I think some are surprised by the CC performances of Steve Slattery
this fall, which seem a vast improvement over his first three harrier
campaigns at Colorado

        They shouldn't be. In HS, Steve became the first NJ runner to win
four consecutive CC titles in a major county (Morris). His college career
was hampered a bit by injuries the first two years and, last year, he was
coming off a long summer season which ended at the World University Games.
Thus, this is the first season he has been able to approach a season
completely healthy and with proper rest.

        Slattery is one of the most versatile runners we have had in NJ. He
ran sub-50 legs on the Mount Olive 1600R team and, of course, won the
National 2K steeplechase at the Nationals as a senior. He probably would
have broken our very good state record at 3K had he run the event that year.
And his hurdling form was so good on his first attempt that I suggested to
him, not entirely in jest, that he ought to try for IHs before he graduated.
He probably could have run them at or under 53 seconds.

                                        Ed Grant