One shot is ok but not 2. gh was kdding(I think) but Elitenet, on the
other hand, is
not. As far as T&FN is concerned(I didn't start this), perhaps gh is
just warning me that I better
not fall for the same thing they did. To wit, quoting from letsrun:

"The magazine is nicknamed the Bible of the Sport, but it looks like
they've
quit doing some of their own research. On page 36 of the newest Track
and Field
News, it says "Ivy League officials are considering withdrawing their
schools
from NCAA Div. 1 competition and moving to Div. III  reports the New
York
Times.  The only problem is this item never appeared in the NYTimes, it
appeared
on the LetsRun.com message boards as a hoax post. We like knowing that
the so
called "Bible of the sport" gets their information from our website.  If
Track
and Field News is "The Bible of the Sport", then does that mean that
LetsRun.com
is the "God of the Sport"?

In the future, they just need to ask us what is a joke and what is
true.  Their
editors as they advance in age must not be able to catch the wit,
sarcasm, and
hoaxes of our younger posters (although we'll admit that for a brief
moment, we
fell for the hoax as well)."

The information is reliable and, believe me, people are interested in
this
stuff. I have the offlist messages. Is there some sort of journalistic
standard
I am supposed to meet here? And whose standards, pray tell, should I be
meeting?

This thread started with the following on December 10:

"Someone just posted a rumour to the Can list that Charlie is supposed
be behind the scenes of Tim and Marion. They were all supposed to have
been seen at York's fine indoor track in Toronto today. Is this
possible?"

On December 18, we got this:

http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2002-12-19T005803Z_01_GALAXY-DC-MDF171281_RTRIDSP_2_SPORTS-ATHLETICS-JONES-DC.jpg

Now, as far as Elitenet's post is concerned, she was interested enough
in this story
to specially request that the pic above be sent to her other email
account. Spare me the condescension.

Regards,

Martin