Bill Roe wrote:
>  A professional tour stop (anyone else remember the old ITA besides me and
Garry Hill and Bob Hersh?) reported crowds using a dart board, which
obviously weren't connected to reality.

Some of the big stars of ITA were Jim Ryun and Ben Jipcho.  (Keino &
Lindgren too, I believe.)  As I recall, one of their gimmicks was a series
of lights set up around the track which indicated "record pace".  (Did they
even have any outdoor meets?)  Some of these meets even got national
televised coverage but after the ITA was dissolved, the athletes who were
involved had to struggle to get reinstated as amateurs.  As far as I'm
concerned, all that the ITA ever did was to essentially shorten the careers
of some good athletes.  I guess the reverse was true of a few of the
"legends", some of whom seemed really ancient (i.e. well into their 30s!) at
the time and must have come out of retirement to compete due to their
marquee value.    I also recall hearing that many athletes couldn't afford
to "go professional" as they would lose out on their lucrative "amateur"
earnings.

bob