Thanks for all the quick responses (re. National Depth--Hurdles) explaining
why Felix Sanchez topped the 400mH list, although the only Dominican
Republic athlete in the top 100 (viz., living and training in the U.S.). I
almost hesitate to note that the women's steeplechase provides another
instance where the world #1, Alesya Turova of Belarus, is the only athlete
in the top 100 representing her country. Is there some similarly simple
explanation for her?

MEN'S STEEPLE 2002                      WOMEN'S STEEPLE 2002
Country      Top 100  Highest           Country      Top 100  Highest

Kenya           20       2              United States   29       9
United States   12      19              Russia           7      13
France          11      11              Poland           5       2
Morocco          9       1              France           5       3
Spain            7       8              Germany          4       5
Poland           5      44              Romania          3       4
Germany          5      65              Czech Republic   3       7
Algeria          4      31              Portugal         3      10
Italy            3      54              China            3      25
                                        Italy            3      53
                                        Finland          3      55
                                        Ukraine          3      56

25 countries represented                33 countries represented
100th = 8:34.04                         100th = 10:29.10

After I posted the women's list last year, James Field wrote that the
database I used included some marks made with shorter than regulation water
jumps. This still may be the case. I anticipate a similar problem in the
coming seasons with the pole vault, where marks made with the previous
standard pegs of 75mm offer some advantage over those made with the new
regulation 55mm. RR