http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=2027983

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK -- Arkansas sprinter Wallace Spearmon Jr., who broke a
U.S. record and won an NCAA title last season, was named the world's
indoor track athlete of the year by Track and Field News, the
university announced Friday.

The latest issue also named the two-time national champion the U.S.
and Collegiate Male Athlete of the Year.

For the honors, Spearmon beat out 400-meter world-record holder and
Florida sprinter Kerron Clement, former East Carolina star LeShawn
Merritt and Russian high jumper Yaroslav Rybakov. But one would never
know the Fayetteville native was voted to be the best athlete on the
planet by his humble attitude.

"I guess it is a great honor," said Spearmon, who will begin competing
in the outdoor campaign at the Texas Relays in Austin on April 7-9.
"This year I had a great season record-wise. It was great to reminisce
on that. But I am not the only one stepping up."

Spearmon, a sophomore, became the first University of Arkansas athlete
to win the national indoor 200-meter title as he set the American
record twice in one night at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field
Championships. Only Namibia's Frankie Fredericks, who holds the world
record at 19.92, has posted a faster time.

Spearmon finished in 20.21 in the preliminaries before cruising to a
record time of 20.10, less than 90 minutes later. Spearmon also won
the 200-meter Southeastern Conference crown in a meet record time of
20.35. Both of his first-place finishes helped Arkansas earn its 40th
NCAA title and 75th conference championship. Spearmon never lost
during the season and in the process had world-leading times in his
six victories.

"He put together a string for great times," Arkansas coach John
McDonnell said. "It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He is talented,
which goes without saying. He is also a fierce competitor. When you
get combination like that you have a great athlete.

But Spearmon began to make his name last year when he won the
200-meter title at the NCAA Outdoor Championships. Now, the 6-3,
175-pound sinewy star is blowing past older competitors.

"He made such a big impact as a freshman," McDonnell said. "He is
everyone's hero on the team. You wouldn't think he was a freshman."

Spearmon has relied on good genes and a strong work ethic, McDonnell
said, to get where he is. His father, Wallace Sr., was a two-time
All-American sprinter for Arkansas in the early 1980s. The younger
Spearmon, however, did not concentrate his attention on track until he
got to Arkansas. He was a three-sport star at Fayetteville High School
and played football and basketball.

McDonnell recalls seeing him perform well in the long jump moments
after coming out of basketball practice.

"I knew this kid was an athlete, and you can do a lot with athletes,"
McDonnell said.

Spearmon said it has been difficult to devote all his time to track
when he watches his friends play on the hardwood or gridiron.

"It's hard to be able to focus on one sport," he said. "I miss playing
football and basketball. But I am focusing on track. Right now I am
satisfied."

And McDonnell said he has the right to be.

"If he stays healthy, I think Wallace can be real outstanding," he
said. "To be the American record holder in the 200 meters with all the
great sprinters, it is amazing."

ENDS