http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=2033018

Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Texas' Marshevet Hooker made some big leaps into the new
outdoor track and field season.

The runner-up at the NCAA indoor championships last month, Hooker set
a Texas Relays record on Friday with a jump of 21 feet, 10 inches.

The winning mark came on her second jump on a clear, sunny day at one
of the first major outdoor meets in the country. She seemed ready to
go even farther if Texas coach Bev Kearney hadn't cut her off after
her third attempt, which was six inches shorter.

"I had to beg her for the third jump," Hooker said. "I felt like I was
on a roll. I feel like have a few more inches."

Hooker said Kearney told her to back off because she still has plenty
of work to do at this meet. On Saturday, she'll run the 100 meters and
the 400- and 800-meter relays.

The sophomore has been eyeing the NCAA outdoors long jump national
title since her second-place finish indoors last month.

"When I left that meet, I knew it would carry over to outdoors," she said.

Hooker has emerged as a dominant force for the Longhorns in her second
season. She scored 26 points for Texas at the Big 12 indoors
championships, winning the long jump and finishing second in the 60
and 200 meters.

Already considered a top sprinter, she finished third in the
100-meters at the NCAA championships as a freshman, Hooker's future as
a long jumper is unlimited, Kearney said. She's already made great
strides over her 32nd place finish at the NCAA outdoors championships
here last year when she jumped 18-3 3/4.

"She's trying to take that step up to be a national champion and an
international competitor," Kearney said.

Hooker's meet record leap Friday smashed the previous mark of 21-5
1/2, set in 1997 by Texas' Kim McGruder. The jump of 21-10 was also
the best women's collegiate outdoor mark of the young season. The
previous best of 21-6 1/4 was held by Tina Harris of LSU, who finished
second Friday. Her best jump was eight inches short of Hooker.

Hooker's mark was a quarter-inch off the Texas school record and was
the third best in the world this year. She said she's pushing to pass
22 feet but suggests she can go even farther.

"I don't want to put a limit. I don't want to put a wall up there," she said.

Kearney said Hooker rarely missteps on her approach and is so
naturally gifted as a jumper that she doesn't let her practice more
than once a week.

"I don't want her to over-think the event," Kearney said. "You never
want to coach to the point you take the athlete out of them."

In the men's long jump, Arizona State's Trevell Quinley leaped 26-9
3/4, the best American mark of the year.

Florida's men posted the fastest college time this year in the 400
relay preliminaries, finishing in 39.1 seconds, nipping LSU's 39.25.

Sophomore Kerron Clement, who last month set the world record in the
indoor 400 meters in 44.57, ran the relay anchor leg for the Gators.

North Carolina's Vikas Gowda, who competed for India in the 2004
Olympics, won the men's discus with a throw of 202-2, beating
runner-up Sheldon Battle of Kansas by 14 feet.

Texas Tech won its fourth straight Texas Relays title in the men's
sprint medley relay as Johnathan Johnson turned in a 1:46.4 anchor leg
in the 800. Johnson has anchored all four of Tech's winning teams.

Arkansas won the 6,000 relay for the sixth straight with a time of 15:24.42.

The meet continues Saturday with finals in the sprint events.

ENDS