http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=2033939

Associated Press

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands -- Jimmy Muindi won the Rotterdam Marathon on
Sunday, breaking away after 23 miles to finish in 2 hours, 7 minutes,
49 seconds and lead a Kenyan sweep.

Jackson Koech was second in 2:08:01 and defending champion Felix Limo
was third in 2:09:01.

In the women's race, Zhor El Kamch of Morocco won in 2:26:38. Madai
Perez of Mexico was second in 2.27.08, and Russia's Jelena Burykina
took third in 2.30.15.

The top three men's finishers were in a pack until Muindi abruptly
increased the pace late in the 26.2-mile race.

After a moment's hesitation, Koech -- running his first official
marathon -- attempted to follow him, while Limo, the pre-race
favorite, continued without trying to match the acceleration.

A leading group of 10 reached the 12.4-mile mark in under an hour, but
the pace slowed slightly after that because of rain.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=29088.html

Muindi ends Limo's plans for defence in Rotterdam Marathon
Sunday 10 April 2005

Rotterdam, The Netherlands – Felix Limo, the winner of last year's
Fortis Marathon Rotterdam was the hot favourite to defend his title
but the victory in the 25th edtion of the race was taken by his far
more experienced compatriot Jimmy Muindi. The 31-year-old East African
crossed the finishline on the Coolsingel in the heart of Rotterdam in
2:07:49. Kenyan born but now Dutch citizen Lornah Kiplagat took the
women's honours in 2:27:36.

The silver anniversary edition of the Rotterdam event was plagued by
rain, wind and very low temperatures (11 degrees C). In the beginning
it looked as if the weather would be not be too much of a hinderance
with the 12,500 field starting under an overcast sky but as the race
progressed the weather got increasingly worse.

MEN – Limo hindered by hamstring problems

Jim Svenoy, the Norwegian steeplechaser who lives in Rotterdam, was a
perfect pacemaker. He led a big leading group of fifteen which
included all the favourites through the first 5km in 14:55, and
clocked 10km in 29:44 at 10 kms and went through 15km in 44:36. The
race was very fast with all these split times inside those of Paul
Tergat when he ran the World record of 2:04:55 in Berlin two years
ago.

However, after 15km the weather gods were no longer with the runners.
It started to rain and the north western wind became far stronger.
Later a lot of athletes complained about the cold and cramps in the
legs.

At 20kms ( 59:56) the leaders had lost eleven seconds on Tergat's
split and halfway (1:03:20) the difference with the World record split
(1:03:04) was already sixteen seconds. By 25kms (1:15:19) there were
nine runners in the leading group: the Kenyan pacemakers Samson
Barmao, Simon Kiprop and James Kwambai, followed by Felix Limo, Titus
Munji, Tadeyuki Ojima (Jap), Jimmy Muindi, Yusuf Songoka and Jackson
Koech.

By 30kms (1:30:22) the final pacemakers finished their job and at this
point Munji dropped back just as did Ojima and Songoka.

So three runners, Muindi, Koech and Limo passed 35kms (1.45.40) in the
lead and it was clear that the winner would come from this trio.

The decisive moment came between 37 and 38 kilometres in the Kralingse
Bos (Kralingen Wood), where the course is a little bit on an upward
slope as the race leaves the part of Rotterdam which is 6.5 metres
below sea level, Muindi accelerated. Suddenly, the four times winner
of the Honolulu marathon, was away an clear.

Koech was aware of the break but suspecting something might still come
from his training partner Limo, who was clearly in trouble at that
point, waited too long to answer Muindi's move, and the race was
effectively over.

So the 31-year-old crossed the finish line in 2:07:49, to improve on
his previous best of 2:08:25 (2002, 5th Berlin). Jackson Koech who
finished second (2:08:01) in what was his debut at the Marathon
distance later confirmed, "I saw that Felix (Limo) had problems and I
decided to go but Muindi was too far away."

Muindi said he was very happy with the victory - "I felt very strong
after 30 kms and as I saw that Felix Limo was in trouble at 35kms I
decided to go."

Limo for his part was not surprisingly upset. "It was a disappointment
for me. But I cannot blame anybody. Around 32/33 kilomtres I felt my
right hamstring, which was already troubling me. At the moment Muindi
went away I could not follow. I hope to meet him again in a better
shape."

WOMEN – An 'ill' Lornah Kiplagat takes an easy win

Lornah Kiplagat was an easy winner of the women's event but the run
itself was not easy for the Kenyan born Dutchwoman.

>From the beginning it was clear that no woman in the field would
threaten her but Kiplagat had for several days before the race been
plagued by a severe cold and a headache, and while on the day of the
race she felt better she was not hundred percent.

"I had the hope of bettering my personal best of 2:22:22 here but that
was impossible today. The second part of the race was very difficult.
My legs were heavy. I felt it already after the first five kilometres.
In the warming-up before the race I could not get warm. I'm happy with
my victory and my first Dutch marathon title."

Nearly four minutes behind Kiplagat came Portugal's Ana Dias in second
place (2:31:27) and Spain's Isabel Eizmendi took third (2:33:14)

Wim van Hemert for the IAAF

Results:
Men
1. Jimmy Muindi   (Ken)  2:07:49 (PB)
2. Jackson Koech   (Ken)  2:08:01 (DB)
3. Felix Limo   (Ken)  2:09:01
4. Gudisa Shentema  (Eth)  2:09:45 (PB)
5. Christopher Cheboiboch (Ken)  2:10:13
6. Elijah Chemwolo Mutai (Ken)  2:10:27
7. Titus Munji   (Ken)  2:11:07
8. Yusuf Songoka   (Ken)  2:11:42 (DB)
9. Jose Manuel Martinez  (Spa)   2 :11:55
10. William Kiplagat  (Ken)  2:12:10
11. Kamiel Maase   (Ned)  2:12:50 (national champion)
12. Kamel Ziani   (Spa) 2:12:52

Women
1. Lorah Kiplagat   (Ned)  2:27:36 (national champion)
2. Ana Dias    (Por)  2:31:27
3. Isabel Eizmendi   (Spa)  2:33:14
4. Anna Thompson  (Aus)  2:33:20
5. Kristyna Loonen  (Ned)  2:33:28 (PB)