http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=trackandfield&id=2036471

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Seven athletes have signed with the Arkansas
track and field team, including three indoor national champions and
the 2004 Footlocker Cross Country Champion, the university announced
Wednesday.

"This is the best recruiting class we've had in some years, as far as
the depth goes," Arkansas coach John McDonnell said. "We're a little
top heavy in the distances. But my philosophy has always been if there
are good athletes out there you have to get them, no matter what event
they compete in. Good athletes win championships."

McDonnell has won 40 national championships.

Among the signees, Arkansas inked six distance runners and one field athlete.

Chris Barnicle of Boston highlights the class. The Newton North High
School star currently has the best 3,200-meter (8:53.00) and two-mile
(8:56.20) times in the U.S. and won the 2004 Foot Locker Cross Country
Northeast Championship.

Other indoor national champions signed on were Colin Costello, a
distance runner from Meath County, Ireland, and Nkosinza Balumbu, a
triple jumper from Union City, Calif.

Distance runners Daniel LaCava from Hurst, Texas; Scott MacPherson
from Plano, Texas, and Ben Schulz from The Woodlands, Texas, also
signed on.

J'Mee Samuels, a sprinter from Winston-Salem, N.C., signed with
Arkansas last November.

ENDS