http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=29239.html

Saturday 30 April 2005

The shock defeat of Ethiopia's Olympic 5000m champion Meseret Defar
and a return back to form for two of the country's upcoming stars,
Abebe Dinkessa and Dejene Berhanu, were the highlights of the action
in the 22nd MOHA Addis Ababa Municipal track championships in Addis
Ababa (April 23-28 2005).

But this was a meet that saw its fair share of upcoming stars and
veterans alike as the best of the best from Ethiopia's capital
gathered for the six-day meet.

Unhealthy Defar shocked by Burika

The race of the championships was undoubtedly the women's 3000m that
saw the return to competition of the country's Olympic 5000m champion
after electing to skip the World Cross Country Championships and major
road races to prepare for the track campaign.

But in Gelete Burika, she found a worthy opponent who gave an early
warning to her rivals that she is ready to rise up to the challenging
senior competition. In March, Burika stormed past the Kenyan challenge
to win the women's junior race at the World Cross Country
championships with unheralded authority.

Here she was even more commanding stopping the clock at 9:00.99 more
than eighteen seconds faster than Defar, who looked to be struggling
throughout the race and later confirmed that she was ill and
recovering from a knee injury incurred in training.

After the race, Burika said that she was happy to have beaten Defar
and confirmed that she will be moving up to the 3000/5000m category in
the track season this summer.

"I am naturally happy," she said. "It gives me encouragement to
prepare for the track season where I will be competing over the 3000m
and 5000m."

Dinkessa and Berhanu return back to form

In the men's 5000m, there was little surprise as Abebe Dinkessa,
fourth in the long course race in St-Etienne/St-Galmier last March,
won the race in 13:53.32 with Zenbaba Yigezu, who finished behind
Dinkessa in the 2004 TOTAL Great Ethiopian Run, coming home for a
repeat of the one-two finish.

Dinkessa, one of the favourites to medal in France, might have been
upset with his outcome two months ago, but after another imperious
performance on home soil, he was back to confident that he is
returning back to his best.

"I had been a little upset of my result in France, but now I am back
to my form and ready for the rest of the season."

But Dinkessa is fully aware that he faces stiffer competition when the
Ethiopian championships take place next week. "It will be difficult,
but I am ready," a confident Dinkessa said.

One of the strongest challengers Dinkessa missed in the 5000m race was
Dejene Berhanu, who instead elected to compete in the 1500m for speed.
But there is no stopping the tall and slender runner who beat
established 1500m runner Seifu Nebse to take a comfortable victory in
3:42.04.

In other races held over the six-day race programme, Bezunesh Bekele
took the women's 5000m ahead of African 5000m champion Etalemahu
Kidane. Genet Getaneh, winner of the 2004 TOTAL Great Ethiopian Run
10k race, finished a close third.

In the women's 10,000m, there was little stopping Merima Hashim
completing her comeback after missing the 2004 season through injury.
The 25-year-old Prisons club runner and a member of Ethiopia's World
Cross squad took a commanding win in 33:41.27 beating Aheza Kiros and
Belaynesh Zemedkun.

Solomon Molla, another of Ethiopia's World Cross squad members, took
the win in 10,000m in 29:25.86 ahead of Demes Girma and Ayalew Ahmed.

Elshadai Negash for the IAAF

ENDS