http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=29232.html

Thursday 28 April 2005

Former Olympic 100 metres champion Maurice Greene will take on
Britain's best sprinters at the Norwich Union International in Glasgow
in June.

Greene will compete for the USA over 100m in the three-way match
against Great Britain and Russia at Scotstoun Stadium on 5 June.

He said: "The Norwich Union International will be a good test for me
as I prepare for the World Championships in Helsinki in August and I'm
hoping to put on a great show.''

The 30-year-old won bronze in Athens last year in a time of 9.87
seconds in the fastest Olympic 100m final in history.

However, he was beaten into second place on the anchor leg of the
4x100m relay when Mark Lewis-Francis held on to take the gold for
Britain but Greene is confident he can reverse that outcome.

He said: "It will be good to run against Britain's best sprinters who
are very talented but still have a lot to prove in the individual
event."

"They are Olympic gold medallists in the 4x100m relay but the 100m is
the biggest challenge and the main goal for any sprinter.''

The 'Kansas Cannonball' intends to recapture the World title he won on
three consecutive occasions between 1997 and 2001.

He said: "2005 is an important year for me and I'm aiming to regain my
100m World title later this summer. I proved last year that I'm still
a force to be reckoned with and I know I have what it takes to add a
fourth 100m World gold medal to my collection.''

PA International for the IAAF

ENDS