http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,1478604,00.html

 David Martin
Saturday May 7, 2005
The Guardian

The Olympic gold medallist Mark Lewis-Francis is hoping to get his
outdoor season off to a flying start in Jamaica today.

Lewis-Francis, who ran the anchor leg in the sprint relay in Athens
last summer, contests his first 100 metres of the season at an
international meeting in Kingston. The 22-year-old will line up
against the reigning world champion Kim Collins as well as the highly
talented Asafa Powell, of Jamaica, and Trinidad's Darrel Brown.

As well as wanting to compete in front of his father, who lives
nearby, Lewis-Francis has another target in mind. The Birchfield
Harrier wants to make amends for being disqualified in last season's
European Cup final and is looking to earn selection for this year's
event in Florence in June.

"If they pick me, they pick me, but really what is important is that I
run a fast time in my first race. That's what's on my mind," said
Lewis-Francis.

The selectors are set to announce the Great Britain team for the
European Cup on June 7 and will take early season form into account -
particularly the finishing order at the international match in Glasgow
two days earlier. Last year Lewis-Francis got their vote but then
suffered the indignity of producing two false starts which saw him
excluded. Great Britain ended up a disappointing fourth overall.

"Of course I'd like to be chosen again," he said. "It's an honour to
run for my country."

At the back of his mind, though, Lewis-Francis must be wondering
whether the selectors will opt for a safety-first policy and choose a
more consistent starter, which might see Jason Gardener get the spot
for Italy.

The Bath sprinter, who won a third successive European indoor 60m
title in March, insists Great Britain's sprint standards are still
high despite the disappointment of not a single man reaching either
the Olympic 100m or 200m final last year.

"All of the top sprinters in Britain are going out there to prove
themselves," he said. "That's certainly my aspiration and my first aim
of the summer is I want to run the 100m in the European Cup."

The 29-year-old will leave for a training camp in Greece soon before
competing there on May 30. "It's very important for me to run a 100m
race on that weekend to get myself back into racing shape," said
Gardener. "Greece is my first race and Glasgow is going to be my
second. I suppose who runs the quickest or whoever comes out top in
Glasgow will get the cup slot. That I suppose is a fair way to select
the spot."

ENDS