De Reuck, Rhines will round out U.S. women's team

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/running/article/0,1713,BDC_2413_3743787,00.html

By Michael Sandrock, For the Camera
May 1, 2005

Once a runner wins an Olympic medal, she has reached the highest
echelon of long-distance running, commanding large appearance fees and
having the freedom to be selective about races.

That is why Saturday's announcement that 2004 Olympic marathon bronze
medalist Deena Kastor will be returning to Boulder on May 30 to try
for her fourth Bolder Boulder title shows the race is firmly
entrenched among the top road competitions in the world.

"I love the race," Kastor said in a telephone interview Saturday
night. "I didn't do it last year because of the Olympics and was
definitely sad not to be there."

Joining Kastor, 32, on the U.S. women's team that will race in the
International Team Challenge in the 27th annual Bolder Boulder are
fellow 2004 Olympic marathoners Colleen De Reuck and Jen Rhines. The
three also comprised the U.S. team that won the 2002 Bolder team title
and were part of the U.S. squad that placed second in the IAAF World
Cross Country Championships the same year.

"It is just fabulous to have Colleen and Jen on the team with me,"
said Kastor, 32. "They are my favorite teammates when we travel
together, and I am excited to have this team put together."

Added Ryan Lamppa of Running USA, "Deena has said often that she loves
the race, and with three individual titles she obviously has developed
deep roots, many positive memories, and a following at the Bolder
Boulder."

According to Bolder Boulder professional athlete coordinator Rich
Castro, defending team champ Mexico, along with Romania, Japan, Kenya,
Ethiopia and Russia should be the top competition for the U.S. squad.

De Reuck, 41, is a four-time Olympian who lives in Boulder. In
February, she won her second-consecutive U.S. 8K cross country
championship and has been sharpening up with wins in a couple of local
races since then. De Reuck has run the Bolder Boulder 11 times, and
has finished second three times.

Rhines, 30, won five NCAA titles as an undergrad at Villanova. She is
an experienced international racer who is coming off a win in the U.S.
15K road championships in March.

It is Kastor, however, who brings star power to the Bolder Boulder.
She has won 18 national titles since leaving the University of
Arkansas, is the U.S. marathon record holder at 2 hours, 21 minutes,
16 seconds, and last August capped her stellar career by taking the
bronze medal at the Athens Olympic Games.

In that race, Kastor showed the patience that helped her to three
consecutive Bolder wins, starting in 2001. Battling the heat as well
as world record holder Paula Radcliffe and the best marathoners in the
world, Kastor gradually moved up through the slowing field to take the
bronze. It was the first U.S. medal in the Olympic women's marathon
since Joan Benoit Samuelson's gold in the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

So far in 2005, Kastor has picked up wins in the U.S. women's 8K
championships in New York, and she also set the pending U.S. 8K record
of 24:36 at the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago.

Kastor said the hoopla and the tens of thousands of fans who pack
Folsom Field to watch the professional runners race are part of the
Bolder Boulder's attraction.

"It is the reason we all come back year after year," said Kastor.
"(Husband) Andrew and I used to live in Colorado, and this is a good
excuse to come back and visit friends and be in the great spirit of
Memorial Day."

Julian will lead Team USA in Bolder

Hubbard, Graff round out crew for Memorial Day race

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/running/article/0,1713,BDC_2413_3756875,00.html

By Michael Sandrock, For the Camera
May 6, 2005

Peter Julian was "on call" last May, poised to run for Team USA in the
2004 Bolder Boulder International Team Challenge if his friend Alan
Culpepper was forced out because of a foot injury.

Culpepper recovered in time to help the United States upset Team Kenya
by a point in the Bolder team race, while Julian, a long-time Boulder
resident, was left on the sidelines watching the race for the 10th
time.

That will change this Memorial Day when Julian, 33, headlines the U.S.
squad that will race against some of the best international road
runners in the world in the 27th annual Bolder Boulder. The race,
which annually draws more than 40,000 runners and walkers to the
streets of Boulder, is one of the largest and well-organized races in
the world.

"Clearly, every elite athlete wants to have a chance to run in the
Bolder Boulder, and I am excited about it," Julian said in phone
interview Thursday. "With only three Americans on the team it is
really competitive to get selected. Things fell in place this year. My
fitness is good, and when (Professional Athlete Coordinator) Rich
(Castro) asked me if I wanted to be on the team, I jumped at the
chance."

Joining Julian, a four-time All American the University of Portland,
will be former Adams State All American Jason Hubbard and up-and-comer
Chris Graff. Graff showed his fitness Sunday by running 28 minutes, 3
seconds for 10,000 meters on the track at the Cardinal Invite in Palo
Alto, Calif. Julian's best time on the track is 28:05. In addition, he
has made three World Cross Country Championship squads and has
finished in the top three in national track and cross country races
several times.

Castro said on Wednesday that he expects Kenya, Ethiopia and Mexico,
three altitude-trained teams, to be the toughest competition for the
United States. However, Julian and Hubbard, who went to school in the
7,000-foot plus altitude of Alamosa, are both strong altitude runners.

"Every time I have raced at altitude I have done well," Julian said.
"Plus I run well in the heat. I am certainly looking at a finish in
the top 10."

ENDS