Just today I have come across Roger Ruth's question as to the citizenship of
former
USSR pole vaulters. There are some good points in Randy Treadway's answer, but
things were sometimes even more complicated.

After the end of the USSR, Leo Heinla and me tried to compile lists for the new
states and were faced with a lot of problems (Randy Treadway pointed out some).
The biggest problem were the athletes in the army clubs: for instance, a club
was
located in a town in Ukraine, but a part of this unit fulfilled its service in
Belarus. And
in a kind of federation cup, he may have represented Ukraine, but actually he
was
born  and brought up in Russia, and only his military service took place
anywhere
else.
 So there was no given solution. Heinla and me advised the newly-created
federations as to their new records, some accepted our proposals, others had
their
own ideas. So some athletes are claimed by two nations nowadays.

Winfried Kramer
Kohlrodweg 12
66539  Neunkirchen/GERMANY
ATFS