This project began, simply enough, with Derek Miles' 5.85m vault at the Brandenburg Gate competition, just one centimeter short of Jeff Hartwig's world masters (age 35-39) record, which led me to wonder how many other masters-age vaulters there were of world-competition quality in this outdoor season. Mirko Jalava's site <tilastopaja.org> seemed the best source for this information, since his World Deep Lists are far deeper and more informative than any others I've found. As it turned out, there were 15 vaulters age 35 or greater on the day of their seasonal bests. I was also able to find the age of the oldest masters vaulter on the list (43), and because it was relatively easy to do, the age of the youngest vaulter to make the list (15).

That, of course, raised questions for me about the number of women vaulters of masters age who qualified for the deep list, so I had to check out the comparison there. Then, a next question was how well masters did in sheer-speed events, so the process of checking ages on Mirko's lists was repeated for the 100 meters--beginning with the women, to ask whether Merlene Ottey was the oldest on the list, then turning to the men, to find the oldest there.

In short, there is no "short." One question follows another and I've so far done the masters-competitor summaries for men and women in one of each major event categories; jumps, sprints, middle distance, distance, weights, and hurdles. I think you'll find something of interest in each, and having Mirko's permission to post these and others, I'll continue to work on this for awhile. It takes me about one day's computer time for each event, so I'll send them at about that rate for as long as I can stay with it.

A note about procedures: From Mirko's full list of a given event, I used the "find" function to search for athletes with a given birth year, beginning with 1973, 1972, etc., and copy-pasted those to a Word document. For those born in l973 only, I checked their birth date against the date of the meet when they accomplished their seasonal best to assure that they were "masters" on the date that qualified for the list, discarding the names of those who have not yet reached 35. (There is some chance of error in this, since the athlete might have reached a qualifying mark, although less than the seasonal best, after his birthday.) Mirko has another set of "performance" lists that might correct this error, but it would have taken quite a lot more time to check these additional data. Perhaps some reader might like to undertake this and correct any errors in my summaries.

I then sorted the masters list by world rankings. For each athlete, I've included world ranking, performance, name, country, birth date, place meet was held, and date. Mirko's lists also usually include name of the meet and placing. You'll note that I've bold-faced the line of information about the oldest athlete on the list for each event.

For starters, here are those lists of masters vaulters:

Masters on Men’s Pole Vault World List
N=853
List threshold=4.80m

  4 5.85  Derek Miles          USA 28 Sep 72    Berlin            7 Sep
 13 5.75  Tim Lobinger         GER  3 Sep 72    Nürnberg          5 Jul
 18 5.71  Tim Mack             USA 15 Sep 72    Van Nuys CA       1 Jun
 29 5.70  Jeff Hartwig         USA 25 Sep 67    Eugene OR        29 Jun
154 5.32  Laurens Looije       NED 12 Jan 73    Amsterdam         6 Jul
279 5.20  Ilian Efremov        BUL  2 Aug 70    Sofia            14 Jun
281 5.20  Nick Buckfield       GBR  5 Jun 73    Leiden           14 Jun
334 5.10  Andrei Fedotov       MDA  9 Nov 68    Chisinau         31 May
440 5.05  Grigoriy Yegorov     KAZ 12 Jan 67    Castellón        21 Jun
499 5.00  Maurilio Mariani     ITA 22 Apr 73    Firenze          27 Jun
527 4.95A Riaan Botha          RSA  8 Nov 70    Pretoria          2 Feb
581 4.90  Valdemir Silva       BRA 18 Mar 71    São Paulo        26 Mar
617 4.90  Giacomo Befani       ITA  8 Jan 70    Terni             1 May
657 4.90  François Thénault    FRA  4 May 72    Ottawa           22 Jun
823 4.80  Francisco Hernández  ESP 15 Dec 64    Pamplona         28 Jun
-----
Youngest athlete (15) on this list:
798 4.80  Jin Min-Sup          KOR  2 Sep 92    Daegu             4 Jun

Masters on Women’s Pole Vault World List
N=797
List threshold=3.60m

 10 4.70  Stacy Dragila        USA 25 Mar 71    Chula Vista CA   22 Jun
242 4.00  Doris Auer           AUT 10 May 71    Regensburg        8 Jun
405 3.81  Sandra van der Geer  NED 25 May 72    Amsterdam         5 Jul
451 3.80  Béatrice Denis       FRA 18 Jun 72    Amiens           18 Jun
470 3.80  Petra Pechstein      SUI 26 Jul 71    Fribourg          2 Aug
714 3.60  Irie Hill            GBR 16 Jan 69    Melbourne         9 Mar

-----
Youngest athlete (14) on this list:
196 4.05  Liz Parnov           AUS  9 May 94    Mannheim         21 Jun

Next: Masters on 100m Lists