On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 June 2010 19:34, Richard Mann
> <richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> "football" for American Football, since the most likely meaning if
>> someone tags sport=football (in spite of the wiki advice not to) is
>> that they mean Association Football.
>
> I disagree, if you said sport=football to people in Australia it
> literally means at least 4 different sports depending on their
> cultural/regional backgrounds, tag:sport=football should point to a
> page that shows all the various sports people refer to as football.

So clearly, taggers in Australia aren't likely to use sport=football
since they'll know it's ambiguous, and renderers in Australia will use
a suitably ambiguous icon.

This is all getting a bit out of hand.

1) JOSM should use sport=american_football, not the "do not use" sport=football
2) I'll add sport=american_football to the wiki. I don't think it
needs a proposal or vote, frankly, but if anyone cares to go through
that loop, feel free to revert my edit and set it up.

Richard