A greenfield site is one that is currently a field, so it should be
tagged as a field until it gets built on. Nothing should ever be
tagged "greenfield".

A brownfield site is derelict land that was something once, but is now
nothing in particular until someone does something with it. A
"brownfield" tag would therefore make some sense, though I'd probably
leave it as landuse=industrial (or whatever else it was) and add
further tags to say that it's derelict.

Richard