On 21/04/2011 16:13, Flaimo wrote:
created a proposal for amenity=daycare:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/daycare

more information on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daycare

flaimo

I hadn't looked at this proposal, having assumed it addressed day-care for the elderly, handicapped, or other adults.

I'm not aware of anyone using the term regularly this way in British English. Before reaching school age the places kids go to tend to be one of the following Nursery, Pre-school, a child-minder. To my mind these are pretty much covered by the amenity=kindergarten tag. I would not think there is any mileage in OSM trying to identify childminders. Once kids reach school, facilities where they stay before being picked-up by their parents will (Imaginatively) be called after-school.

The OSM convention is to use British, *not* American, English. You should therefore change this proposal to child_care (as described in the wiki page in your link). Particularly as the latter is much less ambiguous (the main reason why some American English terms have been used in tags e.g. sidewalk/pavement).

I do think that day_care covering facilities for adults under a variety of categories (elderly, learning difficulties, health) would be useful, but this seems to warrant a different tag. I can immediately think of several places locally which I haven't added to OSM for want of a tag.

Jerry