2011/5/11 Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de>:
> Flaimo wrote:
> In the example image, "lanes" (in this case: sidewalks) of the road that
> are mapped as separate ways also have their own areas. Currently, I tend
> to instead support one area for the entire road, containing the central
> highway ways and the ways for the "lanes".
>
> If you follow the convention that each way should be drawn along the
> center of the real-world feature, then the width of e.g. a sidewalk can
> still be determined at any point along the road from just the single
> outline area and the way position.

no, if this would be possible there would be no sense at all to map
areas. You can't see sidewalks as "just another lane", because they
tend to be quite irregular in certain settings (unlike lanes which
usually keep their width and have no corners and other weird points).
The point of mapping areas is to be able to map irregular street
areas, changes in the sidewalk and similar. That's why I proposed the
area relation: to be able to map these details, to be able to add
topology details like kerbs and lower kerbs and similar issues.

cheers,
Martin