On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 at 09:04, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> In my mind "designated" means "for this infrastructure / mode-of-travel
> pair, DO use this."  Like legislatively or because a sign says so and
> quotes a local ordinance or traffic code statute.  "We built this, use
> it."  (Say, for your own safety and/or comfort).
>
> With "yes" you certainly can use this infrastructure for that particular
> mode-of-travel.  Though, nothing more than that.

I usually go along with was it designed, built, intended or signposted for
use by this mode? If so then it's designated. For example a road was
designed, built and intended for use by cars, motor_vehicle=designated but
if there's no sidewalk you can legally and physically walk on the road so
foot=yes. However some roads like a living street / shared zone, are
signposted for pedestrians to use, so we'd tag foot=designated.