Hold on there.  I think you've misunderstood the intent of integrating
JSTL with Struts.

The idea is not to replace all Struts tags with JSTL tags.  That's not
practical.  In general, you should look at the functionality available
in the JSTL.  If there's something that the JSTL does, and there's a
similar tag in Struts, then just use the JSTL tag.  However, any of the
"html" tags in Struts cannot be easily replaced with a JSTL tag.

You should, however, look at using the "Struts-EL" tags instead of the
Struts tags.  This will allow you to use the expression language in
attribute values, as opposed to using scriptlets.

In the example you provide here, you would want to have a "setup action"
which places certain "constant" values into your application or session
context, resulting in something like this:

labelProperty="description"/>