On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> The primary questions here is:
>
> <Should a suburban roundabout be mapped as a node or as a loop?>
>
> My position is a node for three reasons..
or something like a josm plugin which would turn a node into a little way with
4 nodes, on demand?

> + When you cross this kind of roundabout when cycling, or with a learner
> driver, you don't have to worry about the characteristics of the road you
> are crossing (since you never turn into the traffic of the cross road, you
> just cross the roundabout).  This isn't just about cyclists and learners.
> Its about the nature of the intersection.

a roundabout has different road rules
and you certainly don't cross the roundabout unless you are driving a big
truck with flashing red and blue lights

> + It represents what is on the ground accurately.  Often there is less of
> an actual diversion than many other traffic calming devices, which are not
> mapped.  To draw it as a deviation in the road, just isn't what is there.

A deviation is part of the design philosophy of a roundabout

> + These have a very standardised appearance, and should be represented in a
> standardised way, like a template.  The benefit isn't just in time-saving,
> but in identifying that all these roundabouts are very much the same.

a plugin?