Hmm, yeah the Wiki entry shows that highway=ford can be a node or a way. Since
fords tend to be in isolated places it's rare that somebody would require a
zoom level which would differentiate between a node or way ford.

>From a rendering perspective I'd suggest thick black lines either side of the
>way. Like a bridge rendering but without the little extensions which stick out
>at either end. So, basically just a black edge highlighting.

Not sure how you'd render a node other than by a "ford crossing" icon. But if
were to make one then it's probably best if we were consistent throughout
Australia by making all fords either nodes or ways. I didn't bother following
the previous discussion on fords so can't really judge on the best approach.