Steve Bennett wrote:

Interesting. What strikes me about the street names thing is that in general, there's actually no way to prove it, other than by the person's own admission. Whereas with copyright breach in general, you can show a similarity between two expressions of an idea. But with streets, there is really only one way to express "Thompson St". (Well, two if you count "Street"...)

Steve
You're right, Steve, there is no way to prove it. What we need to be sure of is that our own actions are ethical, and in the spirit of OSM. I do use a street directory, along with some online sources, to verify street names, or to check spelling. I don't have any qualms about it, and I hope with my explanation that others will feel comfortable also.

Richard