On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Stephen Hope <slh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A "Local Traffic" sign is a recommendation, not a law. As such, it is
> sort of the opposite of access=designated, which is designed to show
> places we would prefer certain vehicles to go, this is designed to
> show places we would prefer them not to. We don't actually have a tag
> for this at the moment, maybe we need one.

Yeah good point. Or alternatively, for motor vehicles, the way is
"designated" for local traffic? Some potential tags:

* motor_vehicle:local_traffic=designated
* motor_vehicle:destination=designated
...or...
* motor_vehicle:through_traffic=not_intended

> Maybe we need to do a data extract and look at how many such tags
> exist - ie how big a problem it is.  There may be few enough that we
> can do some sort of check before we do any automated changing.

FWIW, I believe access=destination ways are rendered in OSM mapnik
with a dotted blue fill, e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.46151&lon=153.09406&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF