On 12/03/10 08:39, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Luke Woolley<lswool...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Personally, since NearMap became available, i've been placing traffic light
>> tags at every thick white stop line at the intersection, which means for a
>> standard intersection, there are 4 traffic light nodes.
>
> What's the benefit of this rather than, say, one traffic light node on
> the centre of the intersection? Is the exact location of the light
> itself important? I'm comparing this approach to the Melway, which
> uses a big purple circle across the intersection to indicate the
> presence of traffic lights, mostly as a landmark I guess.

The benefit is in greater accuracy and completeness.  If we can do
better than commercial street directories, then why not?

To my mind, it's a bit like deciding whether to make a minor road with a
concrete dividing strip a divided road or just a two-lane, two-way
single road.

> The extra detail of individual lights might be more of a pain in the
> arse than actually useful?

Insisting that everyone do it that way would be a pain.  But if the
information is available then I see no problem in my capturing it if
convenient.  Nor to I see any pain caused to the user of the more
complete maps.

And you never know when accurate information might prove useful.

John H