In NSW you can often check up unformed roads on council web sites. There are oodles of them shown in Google that don't currently exist in reality. Compare

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=-33.777168,150.627912&spn=0.006269,0.009645&z=17

with

http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/bmccmap/maps.cfm?rid=2474&search=address%252C%2525emu%2525%252CGLENBROOK%2525

cheers