On 2 May 2011 22:03, Ian Callahan <igcalla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those pushing for changes might have expected things to result in a
>> fork as a result of what's happened but that isn't what has happened,
>> instead the OSM community are on the verge of splintering into many
>> various projects
>
> Precisely. In all probability none of them will be viable.

Time will tell on this, but already you have some serious efforts,
such as CommonMap, to a lesser extent FOSM, and even just people doing
their own little maps and not sharing with anyone else which is the
worst possible outcome, especially if the areas mapped is done
multiple times.

> My point is that those agitating for change should go off and start their
> own project, not hijack ours.
>
> They are welcome to use  _our_ data providing they comply with the CTs under
> which it was originally contributed, or as much of it as is compatible with
> their view of propriety. But please don't destroy what so many have worked
> for.

You aren't the first to express this opinion, I doubt you'll be the last.