I like Andrew's message below as I am Interested in what others are doing
and why. So below is what effects the licence has had on me and I hope I
might encourage others to share what they will be doing. Hopefully this
might help us all make more informed decisions, knowing what Australians
plan to do and why.

I know whatever I admit I am doing some people will disagree (very strongly
in some cases). I don't intend to argue my position. Frankly I see no
enjoyment or profit  in such arguments. My silence on any rebuttal does not
imply I am convinced with an excellent argument only that I have chosen not
to reply.

Now the effect the licence change has made to me.

One sentence overview: On the whole I have become disillusioned and have
stopped adding to any database and have vastly curtailed my use of open map
data.

Why? Well I did use CC-BY-SA OSM data in three areas and no project fills
all those needs for me anymore.

Area 1. Creating maps for internal web based applications in a mid-sized
listed Australian company.

As soon as it was discovered that OSM was moving from the familiar CC-BY-SA
licence to an unfamiliar licence I was instructed to use a Microsoft product
instead. The reason being that the legal cost of reviewing any unfamiliar
licence would far exceed the cost of a  Microsoft product we were being
offered.   (CC-BY-SA was easy. We went to our in-house council and they
passed on to us a free document from one of the big legal firms going over
the pros, cons and risks.)  The time and money has been invested now so
there will be no coming back from the decision in the near term.

Area 2. my own little mapping applications .and preventing my contributions
being exploited

Same unfamiliar licence issue as above. I could read the licence myself but
I am not a lawyer. I could pay a lawyer but I have better uses for my money.
FOSM is probably the best alternative.

Area 3. Maps on various Garmin GPSrs

Sites such as www.osmaustralia.org enable me to easily use OSM maps on my
GPSrs.  These maps tend to be much better for bush trails and I can of
course help improve them. OSM is still the best for these.

On the whole I have put mapping out of my mind to come back to later. I have
done similar things with other hobbies. Maybe I will come back to it like I
did wargaming or maybe it will still be sitting (metaphorically) in the
garage in 20 years like my model trains have been.

Mark

(aka NilbogAus)