On 04/12/12 15:59, Steve Bennett wrote:
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+...@gmail.com <mailto:inas66+...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    We're heading towards a day when everybody will have a routing
    application on their mobile device or accessible elsewhere.  So
    navigation is a diminishing issue, and desirability for cycling is
    an increasing one.

Interesting thought. I don't know if I totally agree - I tend to carry a smartphone, *and* I have a GPS mounted on the handlebars, yet neither of those things is convenient as following actual signs or markings.

And 5 years ago you may have said the same thing about in-car GPS. You can't have a sign or a route to everywhere you may want to go.

    If there is no cycling amenity of any kind, then it is just a
    route? How does it differ from any other just by being signed?

I'm not sure I understand your question. By definition, a route is an abstraction on top of the physical world. "What route did you take to get there" - there's nothing physically distinguishing about a route.

But in labelling a route we're usually making a choice. The answer to what route you take, has an underlying question of why you took it.

Could you elaborate on what "amenity" means to you? Me, I'm assuming that if the council has put up "bicycle route" signs, it's because they've determined that that road is inherently better for bikes than some nearby street - both because it's safer and more comfortable, and because it goes somewhere mildly useful.

Generally the case, but not always. My bicycle sign on Parramatta road being my best example so I'm sticking with it. A cycle route down a narrow three lane road, carrying trucks who'd soon as take you out as look at you.

However, I accept that things like railtrails, long distance cycle routes, etc are exceptions here - where even poor amenity may want to be included in the route. I'm not quite sure how we distinguish these type of trails where people are trying to fill in the gaps, from some of the just plain stupid mapped/signed routes that pass for cycle routes in some council areas.

Well, I guess they seem "stupid" if you're focusing on "where's good to ride". They're totally logical and sensible if you're focusing on "how do I get to point B".

Well, I guess I'm focussed on being alive when I get to B.

Ian.