On 1 June 2013 09:29, Michael James <m.ja...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> There is a legal difference between a divided highway and a freeway in
> Australia, so if it is not actually called a freeway/motorway via
> signage then it really isn't one.

Firstly, I'm a little sceptical of there actually being a "legal"
difference.   Can you point to a source that would make this clear?
"Freeway/motorway standard" is a term commonly used by the RMS, but it is
an engineering standard.  RMS are labelling roads clearly not motorway
standard as 'M' roads and v.v.  The standard required clearly also varies
between states, with what passes for a freeway in Victoria doesn't cut it
in NSW, for example.  There are "freeway commence" signs on roads that will
not be labelled as 'M' roads (or even, in some cases, not even given an
alphanumeric designation)

"*RMS appreciates that other sections of road that will be signposted as
the A1 under the new system may already be of motorway standard. However,
to avoid frequent changes between M1 and A1 numbering, RMS will hold off
assigning the M1 designation until sections of the road between major town
centres have been upgraded *."

So, the question is, do we want to use the engineering standard of the road
to decide our tagging, or do we want to use the RMS 'M' indicator - because
the two aren't necessarily linked.

Personally, I'd like to think we can find a way to use the roadway
standard.  For example, I think tagging the Harbour Bridge as a motorway
(60km/h non-divided) is wrong.

However, I also see the value of adopting objective standards in OSM, so
I'm happy to go along with the labelling that RMS uses, if it allows more
consistency across the state.

Ian.