I've been using the current lockdown to walk and cycle all of the streets of my LGA (Willoughby), and I've been checking back to OSM to see if there's anything needing updating. For the most part it's just minor edits here and there.

I had a couple of questions, one of which I'll address in this email:

highway=footway, footway=sidewalk or highway=*, sidewalk=*

Is there a view for Australia as to which method of mapping sidewalks (yes, I'm using the US term because it's unambiguous here) should be used? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks

At the moment there are a lot of separately mapped sidewalks in the Willoughby LGA, but it's patchy at best. There are streets with sidewalks mapped next to other unmapped streets, there are lots of connectivity issues, sidewalks end unexpectedly. I don't intend to put too much effort into cleaning it up, but where I do make changes, I'd prefer to make things better rather than worse!

Hence my asking.

I'm not much of a fan of separately mapped sidewalks, because there tend to be an infinite number of places you can walk/cross etc, and any mapping fails to capture this. But I'm not too concerned with opening a debate if it's already been prosecuted! Just with what the Australian "standard" is.

cheers
Tom
----
Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning