> If I go to Officeworks and get a sign printed with the name "Bob" and put it on my letterbox, does that become the name of my house?

An interesting question which begs another question, what is an address? (warning: a bit of a philosophical ramble on a Friday night).

My global analysis so far suggests that there are basically three: POSTAL (so the postal service is usually involved), CADESTRAL (the building plot as defined by the local government and/or land registration body) and "HABITUAL" which is actually very powerful: if your Officeworks sign remains for long enough, the postman will find it even if not formally sanctioned by the postal service. Interestingly, in Ireland a "descriptive" address "The blue house called Bob, on the other side of the stream in the village of Inverkeith" is also formally acceptable - this is rare globally though.

Following a similar thread in the UK, it is evident that we don't have a clear definition in OSM for the addr: namespace and that makes things like tagging a house name a matter of debate and localisation. In Sweden where I usually live, properties have two completely different addresses: a formal postal address (always just road, house number, formal postal area (i.e. a city/town/village), post code) and a title deed "cadestral" address (unique block name, block number, block number subdivision number) which is used by the local council and the tax office. We use the postal format in the addr: namespace and again there is recent debate on whether addr:name is relevant.

From that perspective it looks like Australia is similar with the postal service and your local council being separate authorative sources but, unlike Sweden, they use overlapping nomenclature. The following is not a primary source so I would be more than curious to know if anyone has a more formal answer:

https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/how-to-name-your-house-stsetivw-vs~50717452

*"Make it legal*
You can call your home any name you want, but if you want to register it as its official address, contact your local council and postal service. They will ascertain if the name is already taken in the area or if there are restrictions on removing an existing name. They’ll even disallow rude names! You’ll still require a street or road number attached to your address, though."

Mike