Hi,

I came across this while separating amenity=fire_station from their building=*. The object is to map the amenity with all the name, operator, etc tags on the amenity and leave the building alone.

The names on the DCS Base Map do not match some of the names on the OSM map.

For Fire and Rescue NSW the DCS base map has, for example ‘Lane Cove Fire Station’ while OSM has ‘Fire and Rescue NSW Station 167 Lane Cove (in the tagging guidelines). The number appears to be a ‘station number’ – see https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/station_list/ The names there on the station list comply with the DCS Base Map … and it is how I would ask for them at the pub/in the street. I think the number may be best entered under the tag ‘ref=*’ and the name as per the DCS Base Map. So I'd like to change the names to comply wit the DCS Base Map.

Additional notes?

The name tag is for 'the common name'.

The long winded name looks to be some 'public service' name for pollies to use  ..

And we have official_name ... "Useful where there is some elaborate official name, while a different one is a common name typically used"

The quoted text comes from the OSM wiki.. honest.

For the Rural Fire Service some names are ‘Nowhere Rural Fire Service’ where the DCS Base Map would have ‘Nowhere RFB’ (‘Nowhere’ is an example – don’t have one to hand). I take ‘RFB’ to be an abbreviation of ‘Rural Fire Brigade’, where as  Rural Fire Service is an abbreviation of the operator.

 I think ‘Nowhere Rural Fire Brigade’ is the correct name.

Thoughts??