I agree with your proposed action to separate the lake from the remainder of
the river.  Related to this is the question of whether riverbanks should be
named. I would name a waterway and its relation but not a riverbank
multipolygon. I would have thought that a search for "Murray River" would not
be assisted by lots of water area multipolygons all named Murray River.  I'm
not sure what is best practice.