On 28/09/2023 11:18, Andrew Davidson wrote:
On 28/9/23 08:21, cleary wrote:

Windorah Qld and Ivanhoe NSW are both currently shown as "town" in OSM but neither has more than rudimentary health service (if any), a hotel, small primary school and service station. I couldn't buy a coffee in either place last time I visited.

That is the general problem, most people want to inflate the importance of a place so that it renders. Windorah has a population of 76 and Ivanhoe 202. If it's lucky Ivanhoe might rate a village but Windorah is most firmly in the hamlet class.

Perhaps this apocryphal Ireland solution should be used? :-)

A house - building

A house and a church - hamlet

A house, a church and a pub - village

A house, a church and two pubs - town