It is certainly a good idea, but we should take several use cases into
account (next to the normal rendering). Some people like to dowload the
data to their device and can't update it every week or even every month.

So there should be a tagging schema that denotes when the works start and
when they end. Then it's up to the developers of the devices and the apps
to implement this. OSM can't do anything more.

There's also a difference when the road is closed, or when there's just one
lane closed.

I propose the following:

Sy you start from a road with the tags
highway=primary
ref=R32
and there will be one lane closed, from 1 Aug to 30 Sept, the tagging could
be

highway=primary
ref=R32
construction=minor
constriction:start=2012-08-01
construction:stop=2012-09-30

After the roadworks are done, all construction tags can be removed.

When the entire road will be closed from 1 Jul to 31 Aug, the following
schema could be used:

highway=construction
construction=primary
ref=R32
construction:start=2012-07-01
construction:stop=2012-08-31

Off course, when the roadworks are done, the tags still have to be edited
manually and reverted to the original state as quick as possible. When
roadworks take longer than expected (as usual), the construction:stop tag
can just be edited.

This will work well enough on most tools without modification. When a tool
doesn't care about constructions, the highway=construction will be an
unknown type, it won't be used for routing and it won't be rendered. When
the road is still open, the type will still be known, and the road will
still be used.

If the tool cares about the construction tag as it's implemented now, but
doesn't read the dates, it will also work well enough, just as the case
above.

This is only a proposal. I would love to bring the date notations closer to
the standard notation used in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours, but it looks pretty
difficult to enter years in that notation. Also, what is "off" and what is
"on" with road works? This is quite ambiguous.

All comments are welcome.

Regards,
Sander