Hi Sam,

Yes, I'm sorry that the licence on our website isn't entirely clear.  The
copyright and legal disclaimer are generic for the website and not intended to
apply to the GIS Digital Data Downloads, which can be used freely as long as
the person who downloads the data from our website accepts the disclaimer here:

http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/departments/Engineering-Public-Works/4489/Disclaimer.html

We would love to see our data used as a base, or merged with user edits where
appropriate, in OSM.  I was intending to look into it myself at some point, and
am glad that Jamie took the initiative.

I should mention that although I was involved in the work that brought Nanaimo
to prominence in Google Earth, our Engineering GIS department (specifically Tim
Taylor and Dan Stevens) are the folks responsible for publishing the GIS data
for download, with a little help from the webmaster.  Although the IT
department here (I work as Sr. Applications Analyst) is interested in open
source and open data, it's really our rubber-hits-road departments that deserve
the credit for collecting and maintaining the information that we help to
publish.

Once the roads are merged in, you may want to look at what other data could be
useful.  Other layers from our current downloads that may be useful include
things like lakes/streams from the storm sewer data, sidewalks from the roads
data, etc.  We may also be able to look into providing things like
non-residential building footprints, parks, etc for a one time load.

We are looking at rationalizing our licensing (it's pretty muddled, some
non-commercial, some other, all non-standard) but until recently there were no
real options for database licensing.  CC0 and PDDL (with attribution community
norms) and ODbL all look interesting, but it sure would be nice if there was
something similar to CC-BY available that didn't rely on copyright.

Jason