On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:39:52 -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, James Ewen
> <ve6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay, my last message just got me wondering about other issues...
>>
>> We all know that it is not appropriate to copy data from Google, or use
>> their aerial photos to trace out ways. What about looking at the
>> Streetview photos and reading a street sign? Is that still a prohibited
>> action?
>>
>> I can stand on the street corner and read the sign, which is kosher,
>> but I probably can't look at a streetview photo and read the sign...
>
> I would make the assumption that any/all data from Google MAY be
> doctored. We have seen deliberate map errors added to commercial maps as
> a way to prove copyright infringement. We have to assume that Google
> would not be above altering some of their images as a way to again offer
> proof should anyone attempt to infringe their copyright.

I would tend to agree with this, as I have spotted street view imagery
having been doctored.  I used to live on a one-way street, and the
imagery in Street View clearly showed the SV car travelling in the wrong
direction on the street.  I pointed this out to Google; they Photoshopped
the car out of the imagery for two blocks.