I was talking to an old friend this afternoon, and it looks like I
might have another Open Street Map ... "victim" :-) . So, next
question being what GPS should he get. My person preferred solution
(the GPS receiver that came Microsoft Streets and Trips) fails on the
portability area. Here are the parameters:

- Cost is a consideration, he would like to get into mapping but not
spend a lot.
- He lives away from major population centres and would like to buy
local, so a model that is available from major Canadian retailers
(Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc.).
- Display doesn't really matter, a B/W display would certainly be
okay, and a pure data logger might be okay.
- Battery powered is important as while this would normally be used in
his car, he want the option of following hiking trails.
- Ease of transferring *.gpx files to his (Linux) based PC and then on
OSM is important.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Colin.