From: "Frederik Ramm" <frede...@remote.org>
To: "talk-ca" <talk-ca@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 6:18:24 AM
Subject: [Talk-ca] Nova Scotia imports, and boundary=land_area

Hi,

there's a mapper in Canada - Darthmouthmapper - who seems to:

1. import data from a source he calls "Nova Scotia Open Data" - I am not
aware of any imports discussion, and the source specification is not
precise enough to determine the legal status of that. Judging from past
changeset comments, whatever imports procedure is used must have a
number of flaws.

2. import administrative boundaries

2a. as a mesh of closed ways (where most people would prefer relations),

2b. with, among other things, the tags "_Shape_Area_=yes",
"addrcountry=Canada" (no colon!), "addr:postcode" (which is not
generally used for objects that do not represent an address), and
"type=land_area" (which is not generally used on closed ways).

2c. The combination of a level-8 admin boundary and place=village is
also unusual (eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/616463020) but I
cannot judge if this is normal in Canada. This is also used in
residential areas https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/636390857 - is this
area really a "village"?

3. use a ton of is_in tags which are highly unusual nowadays

4. occasionally change existing relations (not ways) from type=boundary
to type=land_area (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8417484/history)

5. add addr:postcode and addr:province to place=village nodes

6. revert corrections applied to this by other users, claiming that "The
video and instructions state these can be part of the ways"

A number of people have complained in the past
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=698649&commented
but many of the issues seem to be present still.

Before I ask him to fix this -- are any of the behaviours / mapping
techniques outlined above somehow usual in Canada?

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm ## eMail frede...@remote.org ## N49°00'09" E008°23'33"